The Department of Journalism Studies is delighted to offer two Dan Walker Journalism Scholarships worth £10,000 each for UK or European Union students starting a taught postgraduate course in journalism in 2017.
The scholarships are for students who have a particular interest in sports journalism and meet at least one of our widening participation criteria or achieve a first in their undergraduate degree. If your application is successful you can use the scholarship towards fees or living expenses – the choice is yours.
The scholarship will include periods of work experience in journalism and production, and advice from Dan as you go through the course and prepare for a career.
Are you eligible to apply?
You can apply for a scholarship if you meet all of the following four criteria:
- You either already hold an offer of a place, or wish to apply, for MA Broadcast Journalism or MA Print Journalism at the University of Sheffield
- You are domiciled in the UK or European Union (EU) and not charged international rate fees
- You are not already qualified at masters level, or higher
- You are self-funding
And either one or both of the following:
- You are from a group that is evidentially under-represented among the institution’s taught masters population – see the widening participation criteria below
- You have already achieved or are currently predicted to achieve a first-class undergraduate degree – see the academic merit criteria below.
Academic merit criteria
You are eligible to apply for the scholarship if you achieve a first in your undergraduate degree. You may be awarded a scholarship, but this is provisional on you achieving a first: we will require an academic transcript as evidence.
Application and selection
There are two stages to the application and selection process which depend on whether or not you already hold an offer of a place on either MA Print Journalism or MA Broadcast Journalism for entry in September 2017.
Existing offer holders
If you are not a current University of Sheffield student, to access the application form you must select the ‘Apply now’ button, ‘Click here if you are a prospective student’ then ‘Need an account? Sign up here’.
You will be shortlisted and invited for interview on the basis of your scholarship application. Please ensure that your application addresses the following points:
- Clear identification of how the scholarship will be beneficial to your student experience
- Clearly articulated future ambitions; these goals relate to the degree you are applying for, and they involve appropriate and credible contribution from which others will benefit
Dan Walker will be involved in the selection process along with a panel of senior academic and professional services staff. The panel will look at personal circumstances of those who meet widening participation criteria and take into account achievements of the academic merit applicants.
New course applicants
In order to be eligible to apply for the scholarship you must have applied for a place on either MA Print Journalism or MA Broadcast Journalism before the scholarship closing date of 26 June 2017. You can still apply for the course after this date, but you will no longer be eligible to apply for a scholarship.
To apply for a course please use our Postgraduate Online Application Form.
Once you have done this, you can apply for the scholarship.
New course and scholarship applicants will be shortlisted and invited for interview on the basis on both applications. On the day of your interview you will also be asked to sit a short aptitude paper to help assess your suitability for the course.
Note: This will consist of a series of news and current affairs questions and a short writing exercise. Please make sure you’ve read, listened and watched news output in the days before your interview.